Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Defending Fender

From: Fiona_McQuarrie@sfu.ca
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 20:41:43 -0700
Subject: Defending Fender
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Sender: fmcquarr@sfu.ca

(sob) Chris, how could you say that a Fender Rhodes sound is used by
"cocktail lounge pianists". Fender Rhodes are CLASSIC keyboards. They have
a lovely bell-like sound that Ray Charles has indeed used to great effect
(as in "What'd I Say"). Supertramp has also used them extensively
("Dreamer", "Hide in Your Shell").

Might I note in defense of this fine instrument that many synthesized
keyboards with pre-programmed sounds have a "Fender Rhodes" or "electric
piano" sound.

CHeers, Fiona
(a proud Fender Rhodes owner)

Fiona McQuarrie