Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Defending Fender

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 00:03 CDT
Subject: Re: Defending Fender
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Fiona (aghast)
>(sob) Chris, how could you say that a Fender Rhodes sound is used by
>"cocktail lounge pianists".

   But they *are* used by *many* cocktail lounge pianists. Really.
I just wanted to give people a point of reference, and many people have
seen Paul Shafer playing a Rhodes for Bill Murray's lounge singer on
Saturday Night Live.

>Might I note in defense of this fine instrument that many synthesized
>keyboards with pre-programmed sounds have a "Fender Rhodes" or "electric
>piano" sound.

   It is a really popular sound, it just doesn't sound anything like a
piano. At the time of it's first appearance the alternative was dragging
a full-size or at least an upright piano around. By the time more good
portable pianos appeared (the Yamaha electric grand) people had grown to
love the sound (and limited dynamics) of the Rhodes.

>CHeers, Fiona
>(a proud Fender Rhodes owner)

   But, if you had your choice of any one keyboard, and didn't have to
worry about the neighbors, would you choose the Rhodes?

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)