Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Questions, questions

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 93 02:21 CDT
Subject: Re: Questions, questions
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

About the UUNET ftp site I worte:
>>    It's still alive, but less accessable than before. It's nice that
>> love-hounds is on one of the most well-known sites on the net, but
>> I'd prefer that ftp.uwp.edu be the "official" Kate archive.
>
>(Why this preference?  How "less accessible"?)

   Dave Datta's ftp.uwp.edu is the single best USENET music related ftp
site. It maintains complete archives of every music related mailing list
and (I believe) every music newsgroup. It has sections for lyrics,
articles, interviews, gifs and guitar tablature arranged by artist and
group. Dave's a fan (he's attended our Katemas) and spends quite a bit
of time making this one of the best maintained ftp sites of any sort.

   UUNET is a very well-known machine, but it tends to get *quite*
loaded down, and will kick you off after you change directories too many
times.

   ftp.uwp.edu used to have a slow connection, but is now on a T-1 line.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)