Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate questions

From: KROVETZ@cs.umass.EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 93 00:27 EST
Subject: Kate questions
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I just listened to the box set from start to finish, and came up with a
group of questions:

1. What does "the Goose Moon" refer to (in L'Amour Looks Something Like You)

2. What is "The Sweeny" (`He'll never make the Sweeny' in "Wow")

3. Who is "Georgie" (`Well take care of yourself, and remember Georgie';
                      Don't Put Your Foot on the Heartbrake)

4. What is the expression "I'll just put in the boot"?
   (from the context, I guess it means to ignore the feeling?
    Is this a British expression?  It's at the end of "Fullhouse")

5. Why does kissing the woman in the warm room feel "like kicking a
   habit" (In the Warm Room)

6. What is meant by a "brechtian treatment" (a comment by Paddy Bush
   describing the development of "Coffee Homeground")

7. What does "amat" mean? (`Delius amat' in "Delius")
    Who is `Fenby'? (Delius)
    Any comments about "Delius"?  I assume he is a
    classical composer?

8. Who are "Minnie and Moony" (Blow Away)
   Who is "Bolan"
   [I assume they are dead rock and roll artists.  Perhaps Minnie
    refers to Minnie Ripperton?]

9. What is "baccy" (`The stink of cologne and baccy, and all their Yankee hash')
                    (Pull Out the Pin)

10. What is the "Orch 5" sound? (mentioned in reference to the Dreaming album)
    My guess is that it is some kind of orchestral sound produced on the
    Fairlight.

11. What does Kate mean by saying:
      "He's gonna wangle
       a way to get out of it
       She's an excuse
       and a witness who'll talk when he's called"

      "There's a plank in my eye
       With a camel who's trying to get through it"
    (Suspended in Gaffa)

12. Any guesses as to what Kate is saying at 1:40 in "Leave it Open"?

13. What does Kate say at 4:13 in "Cloudbusting" ("I'm ?? ?? ?? Daddy")?

Bob

krovetz@cs.umass.edu

Kate's music has had a number of unusual instruments (at least in part due
to her brother's influence).  Does anyone know what the following instruments
are like?

Celeste (Wuthering Heights)
Fender Rhodes (Symphony in Blue)         [a kind of guitar?]
Strumento da Porca (Kashka from Baghdad) [slight description in Cloudbusting;
                                          is it like a hammer dulcimer?]
Joanna Strumentum  (Kashka from Baghdad)
Harmonium  (Hammer Horror)
Banshee (Violin)
Koto (All We Ever Look For)
Lironi (The Infant Kiss)
Viol (The Infant Kiss)
Prophet 5 (Egypt)                [a kind of synthesizer?]
Synclavier (There Goes a Tenner) [a kind of synthesizer?]
Balailaka (Running Up That Hill)  [the only place I had heard of this before
                                   was on "Back to the U.S.S.R"]
Valiha (Love and Anger)
Tupan (Deeper Understanding)

Bob

krovetz@cs.umass.edu

9. What is said at the end of "Coffee Homeground"
     Noch ein Glas, mein Liebchen
     Es Schmeckt, wunderbahr
     Und ???
   (what is the last line?)

14. You once mentioned that you are interested in "grotesque beauty".  Have
    you ever seen a book called "fantastic art"?

17. What does Kate say at 4:13 in "Cloudbusting" ("I'm ?? ?? ?? Daddy")
    [note: there seems to be a little bit of distortion in the
     right channel at the very end]