Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: misc, muse, Cloudbusting

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 93 02:40 CDT
Subject: Re: misc, muse, Cloudbusting
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Anders' opinion:
>Good lyrics; "America" Paul Simon.
>Bad lyrics; "Heads we're dancing" Kate Bush.

   I don't know the Paul Simon song, and while I agree that "Heads we're
Dancing" isn't Kate's best song, I would really like *someone* to watch
the film "Hanussen" with Klaus Maria Branduar. I believe this film is
the basis of the song, and (a la "Cloudbusting") is not complete without
it's background story, and cannot be fairly judged.

   From what we can tell, Kate *prefers* to make her lyrics obscure, so
calling a lyric "good" or "bad" on the basis of how clearly it tells
a story or communicates a specific mood is a bit arbitrary. If the
yardstick is "is it as the artist intended" and the artist *intended*
the lyrics to be obscure, (realizing that Kate has recorded lyrics in
ways that her most ardent fans spent years deciphering), then the song
is a success.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)