Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

misc, muse, Cloudbusting

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Sun, 30 May 93 23:18:13 PDT
Subject: misc, muse, Cloudbusting
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        Does anyone have the messages for May 21 to May 25, my hard
disk ate them before I had a chance to read them, so if someone could
send them to me, I'd appreciate it.

        Michael provided some info on various Kate cover versions
(thanks) and askes if there is a list.  Well, I have compiled an
article on the subject that was posted here last year and will one day
be included in the "best of" the love-hounds book, Deeper Understanding
(to be done "real soon now").

        There have been discussions of the amount of time between
Kate's albums, and whether or not she's been in a slump lately, etc.  I
don't think we really know if she's actually gone through a
"non-productive" phase in the time since her last album.  I think if
you look at the history of Kate's career, you find that in her early
years (1978-80) she was living a non-stop creative/productive life.
After the tour ('79) she felt "drained", and then after Never For Ever
she went through a "terrible introverted depression".  Before Hounds of
Love and The Sensual World she's reported that she's consiously taken
breaks, but that they were of a more positive nature.  I suspect that
at some time in the last couple of years she's taken a "creative break"
of some sort, but it sounds like from the last two albums that she
views these as positive, happy, and healthy things.  Kate has said that
she tends to really throw herself totally into her albums and since I
don't think you can live your life in non-stop creative/productive
mode, I'm glad that Kate seems to have found a way to provide more
balance in her life.

        Vickie asked if Kate subscribes to the idea of a "muse".  The
only time I know of that Kate used that term was that she once called
her mother a "muse" and she talked in '87 about getting the "muse" down
on tape.  I've heard "muse" used by people either as a part of
themselves that's creative or as a force greater then themselves that
inspires them, and I don't think we really know if Kate means it in the
second way.

        A couple of weeks ago, Aaron suggested that "Cloudbusting"
might "really" be about the "fear" the son in the story had.  This
touches on something I've always felt about music.  If you look at a
song like Cloudbusting, generally there's not a chance in hell that
most people are going to "get" the specific story about it, unless they
happen to have read an interview with Kate about the song, even if they
paid close attention to the lryics.  Most songs don't really give you
all the "setting" of the song, which makes them more "general" (in a
way) then movies or books. When you listen to a song like that, it
really is a kind of direct emotional connection, the author of the song
may not even know "intellectually" what they are trying to convay.  So
the "emotional undercurrent" of the song is in many ways much more
important then what the song is intellectually "about".  Just after
writing this, I happened on a quote from Kate:

        It's so sad, and it's also a true story, and somehow even if
people don't understand the story, they pick up on the feelings, the
emotions - this is a very rewarding experience for me.   (1987, KBC 21)

        Someone asked a few weeks back if the Cloudbusting video was
shot at The Veil of the White Horse, it was.

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA