Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Magic 110 i have met the enemy, and my he does go on

From: jorn@chinet.chi.il.us (Jorn Barger)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 13:51:07 GMT
Subject: Re: Magic 110 i have met the enemy, and my he does go on
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Skanky Rude-Boy raises the level of discourse:
>>> Your experiences are not "evidence" of a phenomena any more than Billy
>>> Graham's faith is "evidence" of God's existance or my dreams about
>>> k.d.lang last night are "evidence" of her heterosexuality.
>>
>> Hmm... "experience = faith = dream"  paradoxical!  nay, *Wildean*!!!
>
>None of the three are evidence of anything, Jorn.  If you can't deal with
>that fact, stop pretending to be dealing in facts.

(sigh.)

>>> *Scientists* might experience all sorts of things that *might be
>>> interpreted* as paranormal events, but (unlike you) will not proclaim
>>> them to be so until some evidence has been uncovered.
>>
>> quote me my proclamation, please?
>
>Quoted from <m0nd4k4-0004KPC@chinet.chi.il.us>:
>
>> I think what's wrong with CDs as a recording medium is that, being
>> digital, they're unable to *absorb any imprint* from you and your
>> feelings as you listen to the songs recorded on them, the 'emotional
>> scent' of the life you felt yourself living at that time.  So when you
>> listen *now* to old analog media-- vinyl or tape-- you feel something of
>> that time, something particular to *that piece* of vinyl or plastic that
>> *you* vibed with then, much more sensually than you'll ever feel again in
>> these CD-times, listening back a decade or two from now.
>
>Make up your mind, Barger.

Okay, *Neeeeb-ble*... let's look at the word "proclaim".

Kate says, "Sometimes I think I'm king"  Is she proclaiming herself king?
Is she claiming to be king?

Kate2 says, "Right this very minute I think I'm king"  Is *she* proclaiming
herself king?  Is she claiming to be king?

Jorn says, "I think what's wrong with CDs..."

>> In the future, if my experiences threaten to tax your prejudices, just
>> feel free to heap me with abuse, instead.
>
>The hypocritical whine of someone who's spewed more abuse in this thread
>than me, Larry, or Drukman all put together.  When you learn how to counter
>a serious question with something other than feint, a sneer, and an insult,
>maybe you'll stop getting abuse from other people.

gosh, you have a deep and abiding wisdom that sheds brilliant light over
all these proceedings...

(film at 111...)