Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (no subject given!)

From: "K.R.Marshall" <pcxkrm@unicorn.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 92 18:14:10 GMT
Subject: Re: (no subject given!)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.nott.ac.uk

In article <1992Dec2.024753.20916@ultra.com> ultra!corin!keving@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin W. Gurney) writes:

>1. Do radio stations in the UK broadcast in stereo?
>
>2. For those of you who have been over the pond, does American FM radio
>   sound better to you than the BBC, et al?  By "better", I mean specifically
>   having a richer sound with a wider frequency range (in a song, not more
>   frequencies on which to broadcast.)
>
>3. If the answer to #1 is "no", and #2 is "yes", does anyone think Kate
>   could have tailor produced the sound of TSW for British radio, in much the
>   same way that some film-makers will purposely compose shots for a
>   television set's aspect ratio, which is smaller than that of the bigger
>   screen?  Seems pretty far-fetched, but it's better than suggesting that
>   Kate's going deaf in the high frequencies.

Answers:

1. Radio stations in the UK definitely do broadcast in stereo.

2. Having just come back from 3 weeks in the States I can't say that
I noticed any difference in radio quality at all - except the
difficulty of tuning in to one particular radio station in the US as there
are so many of them!

3. - answers itself! - however, theoretically I suppose it is possible -
I think that some companies mix CD's differently from LP's etc to take
advantage of the different frequency ranges available.

Keith.

"Mummy was an asteroid, Daddy was             | Keith Marshall
a small, non-stick kitchen utensil..."        | pcxkrm@unicorn.nott.ac.uk