Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: News admin <news@sco.COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 92 18:42:43 GMT
To: uunet.uu.net!rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: jondr@sco.COM (Karen Silkwood's car)
Subject: Re: The Sensual World
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1992 18:42:36 GMT
Sender: news@sco.com (News admin)

scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us (Stuart Castergine) writes:
>I finally got _The_Sensual_World_! I like the album (of course),
>but I do understand now what people have said about the quality
>of the engineering/mix. Having listened to it about a dozen times
>now, I think I'm ready to say, "It wasn't Del's fault." You see,
>I think the actual recording of the tracks was fine. The problem,
>to my ears is the mixing balance of the background tracks -- they
>sometimes overwhelm Kate's voice and are generally too obtrusive.

it is typical of the novice to express an opinion on something that he or
she knows little about.  as a certified recording engineer and beautiful
person (our record was noted as having "exceptionally clean sound on this
cutting edge release" in US Rave) i am obviously in a position of authority
to comment.  take it from me, folks.  i know the difference between bad
engineering, bad recording and bad mixing.  the sensual world is badly
engineered and recorded.  you can tell quite easily by listening to the
differences in hiss/distortion levels between the things del recorded at
chez kate and stuff like the orchestras recorded at abbey road.

kate's gotta pull her head out of her butt and take an interest in sound
quality.  for an artist of her caliber to put out a CD like the british
edition of The Sensual World is really insulting.  (i single out the British
version cos it's slightly clearer than the american one, and you can hear
the shit even better.  this is what i paid an extra $5 for?  puhleeze!)

>Checking the credits, I notice that it wasn't Del who did the
>mixing on most of the album, it was Kevin Killen. Del only mixed
>one song, _Walk Straight Down the Middle_.

nothing wrong with kevin killen.  check out peter gabriel's "so".  you can't
make gold out of turds.  you can gold plate the turd but deep down it
retains its essential turdiness.

>I think the next album can't help but be helped by just "turning
>down the volume on all that electronic background crap and letting
>me hear KATE!"

she should spend some of her fortune on a better reverb.

or better yet, come live at my house and let me produce her album in our
studio.

--
Jon Drukman (God's personal DJ)                 uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.