Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: cnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 92 12:52:31 GMT
To: rec-music-gaffa@uknet.ac.uk

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: welsh@epcc.ed.ac.uk (E.Welsh)
Subject: Re: ken livingstone
Sender: cnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk (UseNet News Admin)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 12:52:11 GMT

Woj writes:
>> there was an article in the star ledger (one of new jersey's bigger news-
>> papers) today regarding the queen of england's recent speech given at a
>> banquet honoring her 40th year as monarch of england. the associated press
>> ken, as you might guess, is of the labor party.

And Derek Langsford replied:
> Oh woj, you did what so many journalists do.  It is a pet peeve of mine.
> The political party referred to here is the Labour Party, not the Labor
> Party. Just because we spell the word differently on t'other side of the
> pond doesn't mean that we can misspell a proper noun.  I wonder if other

Seconded! While we're on the subject, people, please stop referring to the
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as England (or even
england ;-). It's intensely insulting to Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish.
May I suggest you use UK or Britain (which is at least closer if still
arguably not right)? There hasn't been a monarch of just England for
hundreds of years!

> I'll shut up now having said my piece.  No offense is intended.

Likewise! I'm just trying to be helpful.

/ Evan Welsh                                          <evan@ed.ac.uk> \
\ Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre               (+44 31 650 5960) /