Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various things

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 05:10:27 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Various things
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Chris here,

Ulrich Grepel asks:

> BTW: If you were an artist, how many golden records would you have
> to have to actually give one away to someone who might one day try
> to make money out of such a TRUE COLLECTOR'S ITEM (shoudln't that make it
> easily to No. 1 in any collector's list? Or No. 2 after The Early Years?)
> I know that Kate's first gold single for WH hang hang around somewhere
> at EMIs for a long time, but I think they already make enough money with
> her. Perhaps a golden record from a very small country (like Monaco, do
> you actually need more than 500 copies to get gold there?) isn't as
> valuable as, let's say, a British one, but...

   A couple of factiods about gold records -

   * You can buy almost any recently awarded gold record from the RIAA.

   * Record companies order them by the dozen and give them away to big
     record stores, radio stations, coke dealers, etc.

   * They aren't actually _made_ of gold, just electroplated vinyl.

   * The "Gold Record" isn't even an actual copy of the record awarded.
      It's just some record that the plating plant uses. Really. Whenever
      I see a "gold record" I count the bands. I've yet to find _one_
     that matches the number of bands on the record to tracks on the label.

   * The gold or platinum plating _ruins_ the sound.

----------------------------

andrew david simchik had some fun with a spelling mistake of mine:

>>  Agreed, Tori could probably beat the crap out of Kate in a boxing
>> contest. Tori is taller and has a longer reach, not to mention a huge
>> reserve of anger to draw upon. But in a more free-for-all fight, Kate's
>> study of the marital arts (Judo or Karate) and archery could be a factor.

> Kate's studied the *marital* arts?  No wonder I find her so enticing!  "In
> the Warm Room," ay?

  Opps. But remember "The more I think about sex, the better it gets. Here
we have a purpose in life..." Maybe she _has_ studied.

                            Chris Williams
                               katefans@chinet.chi.il.us