Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Love and Anger

From: CHRIS SMITH <SMITHCJ@ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 92 14:12:27 EST
Subject: Love and Anger
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

This is a response to Andrew's post about the video for Love and Anger.
In writing a lengthy essay for a (gasp!) doctoral musicology seminar on
this tune/video, the term I came up with for the objects that Kate holds
in the first sequence are 1) a rosary (the object that slips out of her
hand) and 2) an orb and sceptre. The latter are symbols associated with
the Catholic church, specifically they symbolize dominion (the sceptre)
over the world (the orb). However, they also appear in the Major Arcana
of the Tarot (the Emperor card, I think). The rosay, aside from its
Catholic symbolism, is also part of Sufi symbology.
That aside, I have to say that I first became aware of kate's work thru
stumbling across this video on MTV. I was very moved by it, and the paper
I wrote was the result. I think and hope that in trying to get at some
of the complex spiritual and musical elements of the piece I did it some
justice. Anybody who might be remotely interested, I'd be happy to send
an abstract through email.
Hope this is interesting; I'm a novice in the KB field, but I've been
touched by her work. Best wishes, chris smith