Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

sTuff

From: woj <REWOICC%ERENJ.BITNET@pucc.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 92 22:57:22 EST
Subject: sTuff
To: Love-Hounds-Request@uunet.UU.NET

as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) sez:
>In <9212041335.tn36339@aol.com> meth@aol.com writes:
>>The laugh belongs neither to L&A or "The Fog".

>I was right and now shall be smug.

since when has meredith been the authority on all things KaTe? ;)

stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin) sez:
>Jon, you're such a stupid rat bastard.  Of COURSE all of Kate's albums have
>themes (except TWS of course, and TSW).

i dunno. i tried to come up with themes for each album and nothing was
readily forthcoming except for tki, hol and t9w (sex, love, rebirth).

>While LH has no lyrical theme, almost all the songs are "warm and soothing".

"fullhouse"? "coffee homeground"? "kashka"? lh is just an extension of
tki for the most part, so "warm and soothing" could just as easily be
applied to tki as well. a feel that one gets from an album doesn't really
qualify as a theme. one could say that lh's theme is love/sex ala tki,
but tki's a much more effective conveyer of that - witness side two's
seduction sequence ("feel it," "oh to be in love," "l'amour..., "room
for the life").

>N4E, Is mostly about angst.

hmmm...side two certainly is angstful, excepting "violin" which feels
angstful, but i don't think that angst is an over riding theme. nfe is
a mish-mash of stuff.

>The Dreaming.  ALL the songs (except the title cut) are about fairly
>disturbed people, someone with some serious problem.

which fits nicely with its disturbing effect on people. but is that a
theme? a commonality of subject, but i doubt that most people would
pick up on that, except in the way that the album can affect the listener.

>The 9th Wave is obvious, and some folks say the HoL half of HoL is
>all about Kate's family and friends.  Personally, I think it's a
>collection of mish-mash,

hol is a bunch of love songs, again, but from an older perspective than
the sex-driven tunes of tki. instead of the hormone overdrive, we see
a look at mother-son love, father-daughter love, fear of love, and a
lover willing to trade places with her paramour. i dunno where "the big
sky fits in here at all.

>Some might argue that TSW is also about people ala TD, but they'ld be
>wrong.

hmmm. perhaps tsw's theme is feelings? sensuality, love, anger, confidence,
desire, understanding, hurt, longing, exultation. the only songs that do
not fit this pattern are "heads we're dancing" and "this woman's work."

woj