Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sound quality / Peter Gabriel's "Us"

From: uribe@xenon.stanford.edu (Tomas Uribe)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1992 06:34:12 GMT
Subject: Sound quality / Peter Gabriel's "Us"
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@times.stanford.edu

There's been some discussion here about the quality of
the recording of "The Sensual World", and I'm now wondering
if anybody has any comments concerning that of Peter Gabriel's
"Us"...

Apparently "Us" was recorded using some novel technique or another,
but IMHO the sound is noticeably inferior to that of, say, "So" or
"Security" (which came out 10 years before!) --- just as that of
TSW compared to HOL or TD ...

Am I going deaf, or is this true???

NOTE: I certainly believe that good music trascends technical limitations
(as is the case with the above-mentioned albums), but still,
it strikes me as strange that musicians such as these would
allow a decrease in the quality of their recordings...
Is this a matter of time, money, deliberate choice, or what?

- Tomas Uribe				uribe@cs.stanford.edu