Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: which maniac?, looks, sundays

From: peace@camelot.bradley.edu (Laura Wasko)
Date: 12 Nov 92 22:00:27 GMT
Subject: Re: which maniac?, looks, sundays
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@bradley.bradley.edu

In <BxLzDE.GFz@acsu.buffalo.edu> v115p8d6@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (she listens like her head's on fire..) writes:

>I agree that Blind Man's Zoo is wonderful but I wouldn't start with it.
>I would recommend In My Tribe for anyone not familiar with 10,000 Maniacs.

Agreed.  I got my start with _In My Tribe_ and I absolutely fell in love.
_Blind Man's Zoo_ came next and I also enjoyed that as the songs are quite
similar in musical and lyrical quality, although they do tend to be darker.
_Wishing Chair_ surprised me because I found it less coherent and somewhat
rougher, but there IS some lovely stuff on there and I grew to like it a
lot.  _Hope Chest_ did much of the same for me--it has the most variety of
any of the albums, I think.  I do enjoy _Our Time in Eden_ for its very
understatedness but none of the songs has reached out and grabbed me the
way some of them of IMT and BMZ have.

>for your information, these are all their albums (that I'm aware of)
>Human Factor No. 5        --both of these are complete on
>Secrets of the I Ching    --the Hope chest. I doubt you will find them
>                            anywhere else.

I'm nit-picky, sorry--it's _Human CONFLICT Number Five_.  They are indeed
complete on _Hope Chest_.

>The Wishing Chair         --the cd contains tracks not on the tape or album

>In My Tribe               --newer cds don't have the song Peace Train

>Blind Man's Zoo
>Hope Chest
>Our Time in Eden

Laura

                     Laura W.  peace@camelot.bradley.edu
 "Is it wise To hug misery To make a song of Melancholy To weave a garland
   of sighs To abandon hope wholly? No, it is not wise."  --Stevie Smith