Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: which maniac?, looks, sundays

From: v115p8d6@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (she listens like her head's on fire..)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1992 15:08:00 GMT
Subject: Re: which maniac?, looks, sundays
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nntp@acsu.buffalo.edu

In article <1992Nov11.213727.29146@galileo.cc.rochester.edu>, as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) writes...

>>> DON'T start with the new album, Our Time In Eden...it really bites.

it doesn't bite!

>>I don't know about _bites_, but don't start with it.
>
>Well, bites is a strong word...but when only 1/3 of the album is really
>worth listening to, I get pretty disappointed.  I love the Maniacs and I
>wish they had made a different album...maybe it's Paul Fox's fault, maybe
>not.

I must admit that I like Our Time in Eden very much. I've noticed that not
alot of people like it that but it appeals to me very much. Probably because
it wasn't what I had expected...but I was pleasantly surprised.:-)

>>I say: don't start with Blind Man's Zoo.  No, no, no.
>
>Why not?  Blind Man's Zoo is coherent, well-made, lyrically excellent, dark
>and lush...in a word, wonderful.  If I hadn't started with this album I
>might not have listened to them at all...I think it's the best one they've
>made.

I agree that Blind Man's Zoo is wonderful but I wouldn't start with it.
I would recommend In My Tribe for anyone not familiar with 10,000 Maniacs.

>I think it might be difficult to get S of the IC, as to my knowledge it's no
>longer being pressed.  Most of the music from it went onto Hope Chest.  And
>I play BMZ again and again and again and it still sounds great.  What's your
>problem with it?

Everything on Secrets of the I Ching is on the Hope Chest. I had a tape of
SofIC taped off a record (horrible sound quality) and all the songs on that
tape were on the cd Hope Chest. The other songs come from Human Factor Number
5.

>Still, from the sound of your musical tastes maybe you'd be best off
>starting with Hope Chest or In My Tribe--probably IMT.  Wishing Chair is
>good but pretty simplistic as far as style and chords go...it's better left
>to the experienced 10,000 Maniacs fan.

for your information, these are all their albums (that I'm aware of)
Human Factor No. 5        --both of these are complete on
Secrets of the I Ching    --the Hope chest. I doubt you will find them
                            anywhere else.

The Wishing Chair         --the cd contains tracks not on the tape or album

In My Tribe               --newer cds don't have the song Peace Train

Blind Man's Zoo
Hope Chest
Our Time in Eden