Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: which maniac?, looks, sundays

From: Jeff Dalton <jeff@aiai.edinburgh.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 92 16:58:45 GMT
Subject: Re: which maniac?, looks, sundays
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

> >For some reason I woke up this morning with a strong urge to buy some 10,000
> >Maniacs. So I put forth the never answerable question: With which album
> >should I start?

> DON'T start with the new album, Our Time In Eden...it really bites.

I don't know about _bites_, but don't start with it.

> The Wishing Chair is kind of folksy/indie, In My Tribe is poppy but
> well-made, Blind Man's Zoo is alternative and dark.  I started with
> BMZ and then IMT, and I would recommend either one highly.  The
> rerelease album, Hope Chest, is also cool but I wouldn't start with it.

I say: don't start with Blind Man's Zoo.  No, no, no.

Start with The Wishing Chair or In My Tribe or Hope Chest or
(if you can get it) Secrets of the I Ching (is that the right
title?).  All of these are incredibly excellent play again and
again and again items that everyone ought to have.

> You can't see Kate while you're listening to her music.

You can if you have a video.

> what sounds like the Sundays?

How about Opal or Mazzy Star or maybe Lush or even Bleach?

-- jd