Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate/Sexual Orientation

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 92 17:10:30 GMT
Subject: Kate/Sexual Orientation
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

Reasons why gay/bi/les people are possibly more abundant among Katefans:

1.)  Content.  Ever listen to mainstream music?  I try not to.  But note
that there is *no place* for homosexual and bisexual lyrics among the
mainstream fare.  The closest mainstream music comes to mentioning same-sex
relationships is Tone-Loc's assertion that he won't "mess around with no
Oscar Meyer weiner."  Kate, on the other hand, not only mentions them
occasionally but mentions them favorably (Wow, Kashka, and possibly even
Cloudbusting if this debate reaches a certain conclusion).  It's only
natural for a gay person to be attracted to music that isn't all boy/girl
stuff.  Sophie B. Hawkins and Madonna have made places for lesbians (sort
of), and there's always Elton John and k.d.lang if you like that sort of
thing, but there's not a lot of explicit (not raunchy, explicit) material
for us glb's.  Note Erasure, Depeche Mode, etc. are all alternative
regardless of material success.

2.)  Taste.  This is a whopping generalization, but one which is based in
some fact.  Glb's tend, often, to be artistic people.  Whether this is
related in any way to sexuality is questionable, but immaterial.  The point
is that Kate is a talented artist whose work is above pop music by miles,
and artistic people notice that.

3.)  Femininity.  Don't start flaming 'till I tell you what I mean.  I've
noticed--again, a generalization--that a lot of gay or bi men are more
inclined toward female singers.  This is probably because they have no
"macho" mental blocks that preclude enjoyment of feminine, emotional lyrics.
(Mariah Carey et al. don't count here.)  Tori Amos, for example, voices a
lot of male-oriented anger in her music; perhaps straight men are more
easily turned off by that.  This is not to say that there aren't open-minded
straight guys out there who aren't macho (sorry about all those negatives),
but let's face it, there are more macho straight guys than macho gay guys
(although the latter do exist).

4.)  Alternative.  Kate is alternative.  There may be no alternative to
Kate for us (ha ha) but she is classified as alternative.  Like attracts
like, too, and alternative lifestyles often enjoy alternative music.

Well, I'm running out of steam for the moment but there are lots of reasons
why glb's should enjoy Kate with more probability than others.  I'm neither
gay-bashing nor straight-bashing here; I'm bi myself so I have a pretty good
idea of what I'm talking about.  Any reactions?

Drewcifer