Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Reminisce

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 92 18:13:58 GMT
Subject: Re: Reminisce
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In <BxM2Ls.KD5@sti.com> stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin) writes:

>In article <BxM0D7.H62@acsu.buffalo.edu> v115p8d6@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (she listens like her head's on fire..) writes:

>>>Nice question. Reminisce of this stuff is always nice.
>>>
>>>It seems a lot of you folks are 'laters'. I picked up on her music when
>>>TKI came out, and my brother (I wasn't buying records yet) continued to
>>>follow her record releases. Wuthering Heights must have been my very
>>>first 'contact'.
>>
>>'Laters'?! In 1978 I was still playing with legos!

>Hey! I *STILL* play with lego!

>>I didn't start listening to her until later, in secondary school, when we
>>moved to a place that played a greater variety of music on the radio...
>>and alot of British music. I got Hounds of Love when it was first released.
>>

>>this is in defence of all those who were too young to appreciate KB when
>>she started out.:-)
>>

>Hey, no need to defend yourself - 'tis better to see the Light of All
>that is Kateness late than never! (Am I sounding like IED yet?)

>I've noticed most Non-American fans picked up on her right from the
>start (ie, TKI).  However, while many American Katefans discovered her
>then (I sheepishly raise my hand here), most discovered here through
>The Hounds of Love-era stuff.

>Now, what *I* think is interesting is that I've yet to hear of anyone
>becoming a Katefan through what most of us consider to be here best
>album - The Dreaming.

>- Stev0 the ancient

>"Me? I got turned on to Kate after hearing 'Fullhouse' "
>	     - No one in the world, ever

>________________________________________ ___I_`.*.'_B_ __________"I just know
>       Steve Berlin               .   K +  * .o   o.* `.`O +.   |that some-
>       stev0@sti.com             '   *  . ' ' |\^/|  `. * .  *  |thing good
> Thank you, America, for      (: May All Your  \V/  Good Dreams |is gonna
>voting for Clinton! We WON!   and Fine Wishes  /_\  Come True:) |happen!" -
>.sig (c) 1992 by Mike Jittlov [for all the protection that affords]
>.sig re-mixed by Stev0 (c) 1992 - Election Victory Mix.

I think the reason for no one meeting Kate via "The Dreaming" is that, to my
understanding, it made the least impact on the British charts.  It was a
pretty startling departure/continuation of her usual sound, and some people
found it just too weird.  Also, I don't think the singles were well
promoted.  (this is all what I read in the Illustrated biography)

Drewcifer