Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ran Tan and the Straight Issue

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 92 23:56:16 -0500
Subject: Re: Ran Tan and the Straight Issue
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9211052215.AA18946@hivnet.ubc.ca> Andrea wrote:

>On another issue:  I'll admit I'm probably a little over sensitive on this
>but I can't BELIEVE we are even discussing the relationship between a person's
>sexual preference and their love for Kate!  There is about as much a
>relationship there as there is between a person's sexual preference and food
>preferences!

Correlation does not imply causation.  An awful lot of folks have commented
that they agree with the seeming high percentage of gay/lesbian/bi KaTefans.
If we believe these admittedly unscientific observations, then there
*is* a relationship between one's sexual preference and their 'love for KaTe'.
If that's good enough, I'd be happy to run an informal poll, though one of
the problems with such things is that there tends toward an under-reporting
of a homosexual population due to closetedness.

Besides, would you rather we discussed the relationship between sexual
preference and interest in the music of Tori Amos?  Or Happy Rhodes?
(I know far more straight Tori fans than straight KaTefans, and I think I
know more straight Happy fans as well).  This is *definitely* the place
for this topic, and a lot more in focus then some of the other things that
have been discussed lately to many others' dismay (certainly not mine; I've
found out about far too much interesting music from r.m.g to complain
when someone mentions yet another artist/band).

And finally:  how do you know there isn't a correlation between someone's
sexual orientation and the types of food they like.  On a purely speculative
note, isn't it at least conceivable that an openminded person is more likely
to try a wider variety of types of food?  And I'm biased to think that
gayfolk tend to be a bit more openminded than straight.  Not in every
case, but a lot.

>I should also hope that Kate fans are both attracted by and
>much more interested in her music than her admittedly fabulous looks.

I can't imagine that any true KaTefan, gay or straight is more interested in
her looks than her music.  But I don't see what this has to do with
the homosexual/heterosexual issue.

>Okay, I've said my peace.

My, how pieceful.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
|                                |  Time for you to / Be who you are."      |