Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: News admin <news@sco.COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 92 10:56:05 PST
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: jondr@sco.COM (Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic)
Subject: Re: Happy Rhodes -- First Impressions
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1992 18:54:49 GMT
Sender: news@sco.com (News admin)

I am not vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes).  I didn't say:
>>   Besides her voice, one other feature struck me as
>>especially Kate-like: rich, meaty strings. Are these sampled?
>
>They're not sampled. Everything came out of her synths. She had
>just bought a synth of her own right before recording the songs
>on Rearmament. My mind's a blank right now as to what kind of
>synth she bought. Before that she used the one at the studio
>where she worked as an appretence engineer and recorded all her
>music.

Sounds like a Juno 106 to me.

>>Is she using a Fairlight?
>
>:-) :-) :-) No, she doesn't have a Fairlight. She doesn't even
>have a record contract.

Fairlight is no longer the big deal it used to be.  You can get a sampler of
comparable quality for under $2000.

>> It is really extraordinary
>>how much of a difference these sounds make when compared
>>to the (IMHO) cheesy string sounds that most synthesizers
>>(and many samplers) put out.
>
>I agree. It's not the equipment though, it's the talent of
>the artist using the equipment.

total bullcrud.  you can play the stock string sounds on any old roland
hybrid digital/analog beastie and it will sound utterly gorgeous.  whether
you play the chord progression from "running up that hill" or "like a
virgin" will not affect how beautiful the strings are.  you'll have to
pardon me here but i get very emotional thinking about roland strings.
they're so damn sexy.  oooooooooohhhhhh....

>A tech question? O.K.......In our home studio, we use a Korg M1, Korg T3,
>                           Korg DW-8000, (no, Korg isn't paying us),

they should.  those machines (with the possible exception of the DW8000) are
EVIL.

>                           Juno 106,(analog lives still),a Roland

right on.  i told ya it was a juno 106, and i didn't peek either.  i used
one of those all through high school.  i would even consider getting one for
our studio.  sub oscillators rule.

>We have an Amiga computer and the sequencer we use is Dr. T's KCS V3.5.

ah, that explains everything.

i think happy should have me and the twitch crew do a techno/rave remix.
(although it'll probably turn out more tribal/progressive house given that
that's what i'm listening to now...)  send me the a capella vocal track and
a finished mix so i can have a reference point and watch out.

--
Jon Drukman (God's personal DJ)                 uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.