Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: cadence!woodruff@uunet.UU.NET (Ken Woodruff)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 92 11:22:40 -0800
To: uunet!rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: woodruff@Cadence.COM (Ken Woodruff)
Subject: Happy Rhodes -- First Impressions
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1992 19:22:22 GMT

Well, on the recommendation of the readers of this
news group I dropped thirty bucks on two Happy Rhodes
albums and I must say...

..all right!  This stuff is great.  I had originally
planned on only getting one but because of a delay
in getting the first one (Warpaint) via special order
I stopped in at tower and picked up Rearmament.
   The stand out song for me is the first track on
Rearmament--The Perfect Irony.  Three seconds into it I
was won over.  Except for a slightly more masculine
tone in the lower octaves, it could be Kate singing this
song.  In fact the similarity between their voices is
creepy--especially in the falsetto ranges.
   Besides her voice, one other feature struck me as
especially Kate-like: rich, meaty strings. Are these sampled?
Is she using a Fairlight?  It is really extraordinary
how much of a difference these sounds make when compared
to the (IMHO) cheesy string sounds that most synthesizers
(and many samplers) put out.
   So here are some questions for you Rhodes fans, where
to go next?  What's with the creepy monster people on
her album covers?  I in fact choose Rearmament because it
DID NOT have a creepy monster on the cover.

Thank you Gaffians.
--Ken

On a side note, I picked up a Clannad album (Sirius, I think)
because it was used.  I tried to listen to it but it
was AWFUL! Basically bad new age with a poor lead singer.
Am I missing something? Should I try a different album?

Ken Woodruff               "Can you feel my love heat?
woodruff@cadence.com        Do you want to sit in my
                            hot seat of love and tell me
DISCLAIMER: All my          how do you feel right after all..."
thoughts are beamed             --Freddy
directly into my head
by aliens.