Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: A Few Thoughts

From: scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us (Stuart Castergine)
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 92 16:21:00 -0500
Subject: re: A Few Thoughts
To: gaffa@cis.ohio-state.edu

> Come to think of it, every Kate Bush fan I've ever known *is* gay.

OK, this has come up a couple times lately. Frankly, I find it really
bizarre (not that there are gay Kate Fans, but that the demographics
would be skewed in that direction). For the record, I'm straight (but
not vanilla ;-) ), so's my wife. And I know several straight KateFans.
However, I was at a Katemas party this year where, at the height of the
party, gay males outnumbered straight males (I think: I wasn't exactly
studying the issue) -- maybe just because we generally arrived in
pairs, so they had math on their side. :-)

I guess it seems odd to me because although Kate is seemingly
gay-positive and has a few songs that touch on gay people/relationships,
her music seems strongly heterosexual, or, in many cases, beyond sexual
stereotyping. So I don't find it odd that gays like Kate, I don't
understand why she would attract people of any one sexual orientation
more than people of any other sexual orientation.

---
scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us -- Stuart M. Castergine        ---
                I  still dream of Orgonon.                      |/
                                                                |\