Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A Few Thoughts

From: rhogan@chaph.usc.edu (Ronald Hogan)
Date: 5 Nov 1992 00:38:26 -0800
Subject: Re: A Few Thoughts
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: rhogan@usc.edu

In article <1992Nov4.222350.1@stsci.edu> Chris Anderson writes:
> Kent Finley writes:
>> Just a few thoughts:
>>
>> Come to think of it, every Kate Bush fan I've ever known *is* gay.
>>
>This thread has been amusing to me, because many of the male Kate fans I have
>known are more interested in Kate's looks/sexuality than her music. I'll admit
>that when I first became aware of Kate, her looks were far more appealing than
>her music.  I'm old enough now that hormonal imbalances rarely dominate my
>thinking processes, and can appreciate her music for its brilliance (although
>she still appeals greatly to my sense of physical beauty).

I first heard Kate as a junior high student, at the time of the Hounds of Love
release, and I was fascinated by the voice on the radio instantly.  Seeing that
album cover with Kate and the dogs, I fell in love instantly.  But it was the
voice and the music that kept me coming back to that tape over and over.

And after having seen "This Woman's Work" in _She's_Having_A_Baby_, every time
I hear the song on my stereo or my Walkman, my eyes well up.  I have started to
cry on public buses for no other reason than that song.  Without ever having
once seen her sing it (though I think it's that incredible sequence in the
film, the single best piece of editing John Hughes has ever done in any movie;
especially the drop of blood and the tear on Bacon's cheek).

Yeah, Kate's beautiful and a picture of her still sets something off in me.
But it's the voice and the songs that touch my soul.

Ron Hogan (rhogan@usc.edu)