Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

sending leaves through mail

From: ucsd!sdsu!hercules.SDSU.EDU!news@uunet.UU.NET (Derek Langsford)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1992 21:25:08 GMT
Subject: sending leaves through mail
To: uunet@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: ucsd!sdsu!newshub.sdsu.edu!news@uunet.UU.NET

Peter referred to someone sending leaves from the US to the UK for a project
he mentioned awhile back. I would like to give a few words of caution.

Please check with the British Consulate or Embassy whether this is
permissable.  I know there are very strict guidelines for living plant
material (I was told that unless you are married to it, the hassle of
getting a plant legally from the US to the UK, is not worth it). Some
sort of inspection and cleaning is necessary to minimize the
hitchhikers (insects, worms, fungi and other such potential pests).

This may also apply to fallen leaves because dead leaves carry lots of microbes
and their spores, especially if dried.  You wouldn't want to be responsible
for introducing some innocent-over-here but destructive-over-there critter.

Call the Embassy in Washington or a consulate (I know there's one in LA
and quite possibly Houston, Seattle, Chicago and Boston).

Derek

Derek H. Langsford                                            Dept. of Biology
dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu                           San Diego State University