Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

1st Bulgares repost

From: Mike Weaver <72210.2035@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 21 Oct 92 12:17:36 EDT
Subject: 1st Bulgares repost
To: LOVE HOUNDS <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

This one seemed to have not quite made it before, so I'm trying again:

(Ronald Hill wrote:)
->       Regarding the description of the Trio that someone (no name
that I could find), firstly you state that Kate was not the first
"popular" musician to notice them.  Kate first "noticed" them back
around 1985 and went to work with them before they became "big", though
the album came out after.  Were there other "popular" artists that
worked with them before they were popular in the west?

David Sylvian used a couple of songs on a Japan-only video release in 1985
("Preparations for a Journey") as soundtrack music for his polaroid
collages.  Seems to me that this was available *before* the UK release (1st
release in an English-language country) of 'Les Mystere...' on 4AD. And, if
I'm recalling it all correctly, the liner notes of the 4AD album had IVO of
4AD noting that the group was brought to his attention by Peter Murphy, who,
interestingly enough, was working with Mick Karn around that time on the
Dalis Car project.

As far as others working with any of the Bulgarian choir (past or present
members - the trio quit to become the Trio, at least they weren't with the
last tour of the full choir), I don't know of any.

Everything seems to point to a tape of a French release making the rounds of
the hip English pop crowd in '85, so Kate could well have heard them then.
Different story is likely on the 'working with' front as '85 was the year of
Hounds of Love, and Kate was promoting it well into '86.