Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Michelle Shocked Touring

From: MJM <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 22 Sep 92 17:30:50 EDT
Subject: Michelle Shocked Touring
To: <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>, <ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu>

I just purchased tickets to see Michelle Shocked's Arkansas Traveller
tour.  I know she has been discussed here before, or at
least mentioned, so I thought I'd give her a plug.

I have seen Shocked (*not* her real name... anybody know what is)
perform twice now; once in '88 when she opened for Billy
Bragg and was virtually unknown, and once last year when she
was doing what I can only reckon was a discreet tour of
small venues to announce the soon arrival of her later-
released album, _AT_.  I saw her at Northwestern U. and the
show got exactly ZERO publicity in normal channels (it was
actually reserved for NU students, which I am not).

For anyone who is thinking about it, let me make up your
mind for you.  Go.  See her if you have a chance.  Despite
being admittedly slightly bored by _AT_, her live performance
brightens even the dullest bluegrass tune into a transcendental
musical experience.  She has a fabulous stage presence and is
completely at ease with the audience.  At the NU show, I was with
a disbeliever (she had heard that Alaska song and disliked it)
and by the end of the evening she was a True Fan.

OK, next question:  She is (at least in Chicago: Park West 10/22)
accompanied by *alot* of other acts:  The Band for one (since when
does The Band *open* for anyone?  Is this the same band or are
they missing members (i.e. Robbie Robertson, etc.)?).
But also, 2 I've never heard about except in passing:
Taj Mahal and Uncle Tupelo.  Anybody have any scoopy or
opinions on these?  Do they have albums that are worth listening to?
I can only presume they are somewhere in the folk/bluegrass/acoustic/
folk-rock vein, considering who they are opening for.

In any case, the presence of all these acts pumps the ticket price to
a juicy $28.50 (not counting bullshit charges).

And while we're at it, I know I've heard Judy Tenuta mentioned here,
but can someone refresh my memory as to why?  Thanks.

||  mjm@zylab.mhs.         /\/\  / /\/\   "No pinky ring hustlers,     ||
||       compuserve.com   / / /_/ / / /    No sabre-tooth neighbours"  ||