Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New Peter Gabriel single

From: Vickie Mapes <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 92 4:33:06 EDT
Subject: New Peter Gabriel single
To: ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Could it be? Am I the first person to have heard a song from the new
Peter album? I'm so happy! Happy about the song, that is (though being
the first to at least post about it is cool too) because it's a *great*
song!

I was at Northwestern University's bookstore just milling around, killing
time waiting for my radio show to start. The bookstore does *not* play
WZRD on their speakers (too radical, I suppose) but instead had Chicago's
main "commercial alternative" station, WXRT, playing. I wasn't really
listening, but found myself moving to the rhythm of the music that was
playing, and bobbing along with it. I thought, "this is cool" and picked
up a book to look at. After a few moments, my brain started paying attention
to the voice and I put the book down and really listened. I've been a
Peter fan since 1973, yet, I swear, it took at least 30 seconds of intense
listening before I finally realized that it was Peter! He sounds *different*
but once I realized it was him, he sounded completely familiar. Strange,
I know. Until I hear the song again, I won't know what might have caused me
to not recognize him right away. I can't describe the song, except to say
that it's nothing like the "Sledgehammer" or "Big Time" -ish type single.
This one, if it does "hit" will elevate the charts to new heights. I think
long-time fans will be ecstatic, and I think it will catch the ear of
new listeners too. (I think, therefore IMHO)

I can't wait to hear it again! I'm not sure of the title, I think it was
"Digging in the Dirt" but the bookstore was noisy and I had to stand on
my tiptoes to reach up and try to hear the speaker. I'm sure that it will
be all over the place soon, or at least, I hope so.

*sigh* _The Dreaming_ and _Security_ were released almost at the same time.
_Hounds of Love_ and _So_ were released very closely together. *sigh*

Vickie

ps, belated trivia: the Chicago Tribune noted Kate's birthday.
(Something was nagging at me...I got out of bed to post this. Strange how
the brain works)