Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Peter Gabriel single

From: "Mark C. Carroll" <carroll@udel.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 92 10:53:03 -0400
Subject: Re: New Peter Gabriel single
To: Vickie Mapes <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Cc: ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu, love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Sender: carroll@cis.udel.edu

Just thought I'd second Vickie's comments about the Gabriel song. I
was in the car with a friend when they announced that they were going
to play the new Gabriel single on WXPN. If they hadn't said it was
him, it would have taken me a while to realize.

The music style is very different from So or Security... The mix and
the instrumentation sound very different. The entire thing seems to be
a very new direction for Gabriel. And it's _great_!

I'm really happy with it. The thing that I've always liked about Peter
Gabriel is the way that he loves to experiment. No two albums from him
ever sound the same. He's always going in new directions, and trying
out new ideas, and new sounds. After _So_, I was really worried that
he had given in to the record companies. I mean, _So_ had some great
songs on it (Mercy Street and In Your Eyes both devastate me), but it
also had a very commercial edge, which seems to usually appear in the
first album before an artist/group totally sells out.

After hearing Digging in the Dirt, I'm pretty sure that he hasn't
given in, and that he's continuing the push in new directions, without
being terribly worried about how many records he'll sell.

	<MC>