Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: None

From: jessica@maurolycus.rutgers.edu (jessica)
Date: Wed, 13 May 1992 11:10:43 -0700
Subject: Re: None
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

katrina_michael@muwayf.unimelb.edu.au (Katrina Michael) writes:

> I don't like being 'hit in the face' with lyrics.  Being direct has
> nothing at all to do with courage - it is more courageous to deal with
> your demons than to tell everyone about them.

I disagree slightly. For some people, the method of "dealing with
daemons" that works best for them *is* to tell other people. Often one
of the best ways to really understand what you are feeling and why, is
to try express it to someone else. I beleive that writing music has
for many people a dual purpose - it is simply to express themselves
*for themselves* and also to express themselves *to others*. Some
musicians write only for themselves, some think only of the audience.
Most I feel have a combination of the two, and I think this likely
holds true for Tori.

I get a feeling from her that through her expression of "her daemons"
through her music she has learned a lot about herself, and feels much
more comfortable with herself; she knows herself better now.

> I would much rather sort through the clues in lyrics and decide for
> myself.  Sorry, but it's the attitude of a bitter woman.

While Tori's music is certianly emotionally direct, and at times
lyrically direct, I would *not* say her lyrics are "direct" and that
you would not want/need to read them carefully and several times to
catch everything in them. Much of her lyrics is filled with imagery,
emotion-provoking imagery, but imagery and indirect expression
nonetheless.

If you've read the lyrics and still feel they are bland, direct, and
leave little to the imagination and emotion-provoking, let me know and
i'll point out particular examples that I beleive support my argument.

			  jessica

--
|| jessica  || It is this that || Don't try to tell me there's no reason for ||
|| lawrence ||    brings us    || any moment in time, every memory of mine.  ||