Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

None

From: "Katrina Michael" <katrina_michael@muwayf.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1992 11:16:57 -0700
Subject: None
To: Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

                       Subject:                               Time:10:41 AM
  OFFICE MEMO                                                 Date:5/12/92
Boris Chen was very quick in responding to my thoughts on Tori Amos, however:

I wrote:
I'm not a regular subscriber to the newsgroup, but I have been reading the
reports of Tori Amos with interest, and will probably buy her CD.

Boris wrote:
I hope this doesn't mean that you've never listened to TA's songs. One can't
make a good assessment of someone's music by descriptions by others.

I stated I will probably buy her CD - for myself.  Obviously I've heard her
music through friends' copies.  I could hardly make an assessment based on just
reviews!!

Again, I wrote:
What a statement!  Repression?  Sorry, but this 'girl child' recalls a
childhood where all thoughts and feelings were accepted, as a form of her
growth, and she was often given help to deal with them.

Boris wrote:
I believe that Melissa was speaking about how females in general are raised in
modern culture, not about every individual case.

And that's exactly why I wrote what I did!  Everyone's perception of modern
culture, and how they've been accepted or otherwise into that culture is
tremendously different.  I felt that Melissa was making a very general
statement, and that is not always very wise.

- Katrina
  "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may" - Robert Herrick