Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

None

From: "Katrina Michael" <katrina_michael@muwayf.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1992 13:56:47 -0700
Subject: None
To: Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

                       Subject:                               Time:10:39 AM
  OFFICE MEMO                                                 Date:5/8/92
 Hi everyone,

I'm not a regular subscriber to the newsgroup, but I have been reading the
reports of Tori Amos with interest, and will probably buy her CD.  In reply to
Melissa Caldwell's message:

>Repression of unpleasant thoughts and feelings is something that girl children
are taught from
>a very early age, and it's wonderful to see that she seems to have overcome
this.

What a statement!  Repression?  Sorry, but this 'girl child' recalls a
childhood where all thoughts and feelings were accepted, as a form of her
growth, and she was often given help to deal with them.  Tori may have been
repressed, and that's very sad, but I can't  believe that she has 'overcome'
this while a huge 'web' of bitterness still covers her work.

>I also believe that we tend not to see Kate as a real person.  I agree; Kate's
music is
>beautifully emotional, but she doesn't really show us who she is.

Again, I disagree.  Kate, to me, _is_ a real person.  She's the friend that
understands my thoughts, my moods.  She's trodden the same path and she tells
me of its magic, and its danger.  She comforts me when I'm sad, gives me
confidence when I'm vulnerable, makes me smile at my own mistakes in love -
because she's been there too. She does show us who she is - under the guise of
different personas, but it is left to you to make that imagery work.  That's
why she's special.

>Tori's work _is_ more direct and confrontational.  In some ways it is more
courageous.
>IMHO, she writes the truth, and sometimes truth makes us uncomfortable.  She
definitely
>has an attitude, but it's the attitude of a strong, independent woman.

I don't like being 'hit in the face' with lyrics.  Being direct has nothing at
all to do with courage - it is more courageous to deal with your demons than to
tell everyone about them.  I would much rather sort through the clues in lyrics
and decide for myself.  Sorry, but it's the attitude of a bitter woman.

>It will be interesting to see if this was just a "stage" that she was in or if
her work
>will always have this tone.

Let's hope not.

- Katrina
  "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may - Robert Herrick"