Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: "News Manager at ashe.cs.tcd.ie" <news@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1992 09:56:21 -0700
To: rec-music-gaffa@cs.tcd.ie

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: ogorman@unix1.tcd.ie (Lucifuge)
Subject: Tori Amos 'Little Earthquakes'
Sender: usenet@cs.tcd.ie (NN required at ashe.cs.tcd.ie)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1992 16:30:19 GMT

I bought this ~4 months ago, listened to it once and didn't bother again
until last week...last week I resurrected it and decided it wasn't so
bad. Why didn't I like it? Hmmm. A few reasons; I found her voice a
little weak, her music a little awkward but her lyrics *very* obvious.
The others are minor flaws, only present in places but I think the
lyrics, the imagery of the album is flawed.

Flawed by its obviousness. From the phallic mushrooms on the front to
lines like 'doesn't make you jesus, cause you can make me come' (or
something like that - I don't have the lyrics, so sue :) ). In short she
bludgeons the listener with her imagery rather than allowing them to
discover it. I get nothing from this. I find it contrived
pseudo-intellectual posturing. I find it calculated to be totally
honest.

I listen to a wide range of music. Someone mentioned Metallicas 'Leper
Messiah' in a previous post. It's a point of reference. I'd listen to it
(or to 'Never be Mine' or 'Suspended in Gaffa') before I'd listen to
'Winter'. For the direction, the lack of pretense and the sheer
depth and strength of the images they *conjure* in my mind. Conjure,
call up, not hit me in the face with the subtlety of a brick.

Nah I don't like it.

Ollie...
"for in my kingdom is no place where you can draw the line,
 'twixt good and evil, saint and sinner, damnant and divine"