Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sad News :-(

From: gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1992 02:04:35 -0800
Subject: Re: Sad News :-(
To: rec-music-gaffa@chinet.chi.il.us
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Melissa writes:

>Vickie writes:
>
>> Sadly, Kate's mother Hannah Bush passed away on Valentine's Day.
>> The cause of death has not been released to the public. Cards and
>> flowers may be sent to East Wickham Farm in Welling, Kent.
>>
>> A suggestion (not made by the family, but by me) would be to
>> donate a little something to your favorite charity, or to Kate's
>> favorite charity, The Terrence Higgins Trust in London, in Hannah's
>> name. The family is in seclusion and are not giving any interviews.
>

>Would you be interested in collecting donations from Love-Hounds
>and making the donation as a group?  I think that the Terrence
>Higgins Trust would be a good choice.  Please let us know...

I wouldn't mind...it would involve quite a bit. I mean, getting checks
cashed, exchanging American money into English pounds, ditto for
money from other countries. I'll have to think about it. Could those
who whould be willing to donate e-mail me so I can get an idea how
many are interested? Can an English Hound get the address of the
Terrence Higgins Trust for me?

I made that suggestion because I hate the idea of flowers being sent to
the farm. Cards are fine, but flowers are terrible. Please, I know what
I'm talking about. My mother died in 1982 and many, many people sent flowers.
The thought is very nice, but the flowers just go to waste. We requested
that they be distributed to hospitals, which they were. That's nice, but
they still die. A donation to a charity is much more lasting and can help
more people. Plus, if flowers are sent to the Farm, the family will have
to take the time and effort to do something with them. I don't want that
to happen. I only included the "cards and flowes may be sent to the farm"
because that's what Peter said. In my original post, i should have just
cut out the "flowers" part.

I talked to IED, btw. He knows about Hannah now.

I can't help but put a personal note in here, I *don't* want to start a
flame war, but I have to say this...

I hope those who hate the song "Reaching Out" will listen to it with
Kate's mom in mind, and will feel a bit kinder toward it. I'm not
asking you to like it, but just feel some of the mother/daughter
connection, and try to understand where she's coming from. I've posted
before about how much I love that song, one of the reasons being that
I lost my own mother 10 years ago, and the emotions in the song hit me very
deeply. Knowing, from many different sources, how close Kate and her mother
were, I can imagine that Kate is absolutely devestated. I feel such sorrow
and sadness for her. Songs such as RO and All the Love and others that
involve her mother have become even more special in the last day. I'm so
glad Kate used her mom in the videos of Suspended in Gaffa and The Big Sky,
she'll always be preserved on video for those of us who never met her.

Thank you Ron, for digging up those quotes.

Vickie

> Melissa Caldwell                         You want my reply?
> The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)         What was the question?
> {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!mdc           I was looking at the Big Sky
> mdc@bsbbs.UUCP

ps, Melissa, I did answer you via e-mail. I tried sending it again.