Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Taking the Pseudo- out of Pseudo-Moderator?

From: woj@remus.rutgers.edu
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1992 01:00:45 -0800
Subject: Re: Taking the Pseudo- out of Pseudo-Moderator?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

N. Richard Caldwell sez:
>If you have some spare time to spend on tinkering with Gaffa
>I think the group would be better served if you moved toward
>releasing the newsgroup from moderation completely. [...]
>It should be possible to gate to and from the mailing list without
>forcing moderation, even psuedo-moderation, on newsgroup readers.

from my understanding of the current setup of love-hounds/r.m.g, this
really doesn't matter. when you make a post via usenet, it is mailed
directly to love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com. from there, it enters the
usenet and is appended to the digest.

what you are asking for is to make r.m.g a "true" group where a post
made to it is distributed from the poster's site rather than the
moderator's. i don't really know if this will make much of a differ-
ence in the speed of the group. but, it will in effect limit the
readership of the digest who will be without love-hounds when the
digesting software breaks - while the newsgroup readers go along on
their merry way. seems a bit unfair - especially since love-hounds/
gaffa began as a mailing list.

also remember: when the newsgroup breaks down, so does the digest
(well, usually...).

woj