Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Taking the Pseudo- out of Pseudo-Moderator?

From: caen!bsbbs!nrc@harvard.harvard.edu (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1992 12:19:30 -0800
Subject: Taking the Pseudo- out of Pseudo-Moderator?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

wisner@ims.alaska.EDU (The World Famous Bill Wisner) writes:

> Do readers really want Love-Hounds to become truly moderated, and have
> extraneous articles (for some definition of extraneous) filtered out?

Thanks, but no thanks.  The two best things about Gaffa are that
it's an open forum and that it is the fastest way to widely
distribute Kate news.  Actual moderation would reduce or
eliminate both of those benefits.

There are plenty of other forums for people who want strictly
moderated Kate news, fanzines for instance.  The nearly
immediate, interactive  nature of Love-Hounds may cause problems
at times but it's what makes Gaffa a unique and special forum for
Kate fans.  We've weathered flame wars that were orders of
magnitude greater than this tempest in a teapot and those
essential ingredients have always sustained us.

> So, do I turn Love-Hounds into a truly moderated mailing list/newsgroup?  Or
> does discussion (such as it is) continue unhindered?  You decide.

No.  If you have some spare time to spend on tinkering with Gaffa
I think the group would be better served if you moved toward
releasing the newsgroup from moderation completely.  While the
group seems to have been running relatively smoothly of late,
moderation has always been a source of intermittent problems for
rec.music.gaffa. It should be possible to gate to and from the
mailing list without forcing moderation, even psuedo-moderation,
on newsgroup readers.

In summary, thanks very much for your services as psuedo-
moderator.  I think you've done a great job as psuedo-moderator
and I hope you'll continue in that capacity (with emphasis on
"psuedo").

                "Torment the mailman / Terrorize the maid
                 Try to teach 'em some manners / Whip 'em into shape
                 Down in the basement / I got a Craftsman lathe
                 Show it to the children / When they misbehave"

                       -- Warren Zevon, "Model Citizen"

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
                                  nrc@bsbbs.UUCP