Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Taking the Pseudo- out of Pseudo-Moderator?

From: stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1992 08:22:27 -0800
Subject: Re: Taking the Pseudo- out of Pseudo-Moderator?
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sti.com

In article <20320.696815959@ims.alaska.edu>, wisner@ims.alaska.EDU (The World Famous Bill Wisner) writes:
|> Do readers really want Love-Hounds to become truly moderated, and have
|> extraneous articles (for some definition of extraneous) filtered out?
|>
|> I could do this.  But there are catches.
|>
|> The first catch, the obvious one, is that rec.music.gaffa would no longer
|> be an immediate forum.  Articles would not show up and be available for
|> reading until the moderator got around to posting it.  Some would say this
|> is a good thing.

Geez, there is already too-long a lag between postings.  We don't need
a reason for yet another delay.

|> The second catch is that the delay between posting an article and seeing it
|> show up would probably be directly related to how busy I was that day.  Sad
|> to say, Love-Hounds is not at the top of my personal priority totem pole.

Love-Hounds not the most important thing in your life? BLASPHEMPY!  You
must be BURNED AT THE STAKE with those other CRETINS who thing KATE BUSH
is a MERE MORTAL!  (Note for the humor-oblivious (not to mention any
names, such as Jorn) - that was sarsasm)

|> The third catch is that my definition of what articles are suitable for
|> inclusion would probably be entirely arbitrary.
|>
|> So, do I turn Love-Hounds into a truly moderated mailing list/newsgroup?  Or
|> does discussion (such as it is) continue unhindered?  You decide.

I am against all forms of censorship.  There are too many great writers
lesser minds have tried to keep quiet (for some odd reason, I feel like
using James Joyce as an example).  Not that I'm calling myself a "great
writer" (If I could, I would be the next Karen Finley), I'm not talking
about ME at all - I'm talking about ALL censorship.  If someone proposed
to kick Jorn off this newsgroup, I would tell them to fuck off. (The
proposer).

WORKING EXAMPLES:

I personally don't like reading pre-HOL interviews with Kate.  People
change, and if she were asked the same questions today, she would
probably give different answers on half the non-technical questions.

However, this is, above all, a KATE BUSH FORUM, and many people like
reading these interviews.  So keep 'em coming, I say!

|> Bill Wisner <wisner@ims.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
|> I want to be a scholar, but I really can't be bothered

-Stev0 the card-carrying member of the ACLU

"But it couldn't be you,
couldn't be you,
it was a picture of Jorn"

        - Heads We're Dancing

P.S. If I WAS temporarily kick off this newgroup, could I consider
myself to be suspended from Gaffa?

--
Steve Berlin (Stev0)   |  "Up yours, Ugly!"
Stev0@sti.com          |                   -Kate Bush