Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@eng.ufl.edu
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1992 13:42:56 -0800
To: rec-music-gaffa@ufl.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: greg@irl.ise.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear)
Subject: Re: Interesting message on This Woman's Work pic disc...
Sender: news@eng.ufl.edu
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 92 21:42:45 GMT

In article <24872@skye.dcs.ed.ac.uk> s.telford@ed.ac.UK (Scott Telford) writes:

>I just picked up a TWW 7" picture disc at a record fair last Saturday,
>and, remembering the messages KaTe sometimes inscribed on her singles,
>had a close look at the disc. Sure 'nuff, on the A-side is inscribed
>the rather indelicate statement "UP YOURS UGLY". Can this be one of
>KaTe's mysterious messages? I don't remember reading anything about
>this one...
>
>...and who's "Ugly"?

My guess is that "Ugly" refers to Vivian, the character played by Adrian
Edmondson on "The Young Ones".  There was an episode where Vivian's mom came
to visit him and generally harass him.  I think it went something like:
Mom: "I brought you a present." (hands him a bottle of vodka)
Viv: "But it's empty!"
Mom: "Haha! Up yours, ugly!" (flips him the two-finger salute)

Since there is a direct connection between Kate->Comic Strip->Young Ones,
this is my theory.
--
Greg O'Rear
Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Florida