Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Kevin Carhart <ukevc@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1992 14:21:19 -0800
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>

Cynthia Rosas wanted to know:
Has anyone heard about an album (CD) called Until The End Of
The World?

This is what it says in the 1/16/92 ENCORE, the arts supplement to the Daily
Nexus, the UCSanta Barbara newspaper.  This thing is the property of Ted Mills
or somebody, in case they feel like suing:
    Surely this is a gift from the gods.  The soundtrack from the latest Wim
Wenders film (which hasn't even opened here yet) is no hodgepodge of mediocre
songs by unknowns scattered with one or two radio-ready hits.  Until The End
of the World contains 15 new and original songs from such proven artists as
R.E.M., Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Elvis Costello, Lou Reed, Julee Cruise,
and with their first song in three years, the Talking Heads.  The only song to
appear elsewhere is U2's title track, which shows up on Achtung Baby, albeit
with a different mix.
     The best achievement of the album is that it really works as a unified
piece, unlike most soundtracks.  All the artists involved seemed to have been
taken with a Wim Wenders-like aesthetic, creating spacious, brooding songs that
float out of one's speakers.  It is an ideal album for listening in the wee
hours, as this reviewer can testify to doing quite often.
     There are other pleasant surprises.  Fans and detractors alike will be
interested in Depeche Mode's "Death's Door" which replaces their drum machine
with an acoustic shuffle.  Patti and Fred Smith's "It Takes Time" achieves
a hypnotic effect while Jane Siberry duets with k.d. lang on the heartbreaking
"Calling All Angels," which brings to mind Wings of Desire, Wender's last film.
     Until the End of the World should be the yardstick that other soundtracks
of this variety are measured against.  Whether you see the film or not, get hold
of the album any way you can.
------
Sounds pretty good.  I could have just put up the line about Jane Siberry but
it seemed like a worthwhile review, especially with the Julee Cruise and the
unified, hypnotic nature.
So as to mention Kate at least once:
I heard the original RM on the radio. (whoopee.)
And have people sufficiently mentioned the compilation album THEODORE?  It
has "Be Kind to My Mistakes" on it, as well as Poi Dog Pondering, The Rave-ups,
Social Distortion, Living Colour, Toad the Wet Sprocket, O-Positive, Psychedelic
Furs, Public Enemy,Big Audio Dynamite, Nuclear Valdez, Indigo Girls, Shawn
Colvin, Big Dipper, 3rd Bass, and Prong.  It was one of my favorites around
early summer, when I bought Never For Ever and really got into kate.
Is it in the discography?
Kevin   ukevc@mcl.ucsb.edu