Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Booklet (again)

From: usenet%agate.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (USENET Administrator)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1992 20:21:58 -0800
Subject: Re: Booklet (again)
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

From: 128a-3ls@e260-4c.berkeley.edu (Michael Janson)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 15 Jan 1992 04:21:55 GMT

In article <V6uieB2w164w@netlink.cts.com> lionhart@netlink.cts.COM (Jackie Zucconi) writes:
>   There is one thing I forgot to mention about the lyrics in the Japanese
>issued box set of TWW, the english lyrics are only in the booklets that are
>inside the jewel cases of the two CD's of the flipsides. The booklets for
>the other CD's (albums) are in Japanese as is the two booklets that come
>outside of the jewel cases.

Actually, not true!

All albums have the lyrics as well!  Strangely, I even notice that the cover
art is better; one can see more detail on the _HoL_ and _TSW_ CDs from Japan
than their U.S. counterparts.

As to the "superior" sound quality, I'd say that it's most noticable on
_The Dreaming_ as well as _TKI_.  This was particularly stunning to me as I
had previously thought that _The Dreaming_ had the least room for improvement,
so to speak.... not so!  I'd say that it's most noticable with respect to
detail on the louder passages (being able to hear things "in the background)
as well as transients throughout the album.  WRT _TKI_, less hiss, "truer"
bass reproduction.  I notice some improvement on _NFE_ and _HoL_, although
I haven't noticed the devastating improvement on "Mother Stands For Comfort",
although I can tell you what I'm going to do the moment I get off usenet! 8-)

The Sensual World sounds as bad as the U.S. version, I'm sad to say.  With
_Lionheart_, I'd say this is the least "consistent" of Kate's albums, although
there are many hints of genius I enjoy a great deal which I wouldn't mind
hearing in decent fidelity, such as "Never Be Mine".

(I still think the all time best Kate song is "Night Of The Swallow", though!)

Does anyone know why "Walk Straight Down The Middle" is on the Vol. I disc in
the box set?  It's the only non-B-side on that disc, aside from
"Ne T'En Fui Pas", of course.

>Another significant factor about the box set is
>that the Japanese issue does not come with a set of stickers which the UK
>issue does. The stickers are the "new" KT symbol in varying colors.

Damn!  Now I'll have to get the U.K. set, too!  !-)

Thanks, Peter Gabriel, for opening the window!

> lionhart@netlink.cts.com (Jackie Zucconi)

128a-3ls@web.berkeley.edu

----
It seem'd in heaven, a ship the shape thereof
A dragon wing'd, and all from stem to stern
Bright with a shining people on the decks,
And gone as soon as seen.  And then the two
Dropt to the cove, and watch'd the great sea fall,
Wave after wave, each mightier than the last,
Till last, a ninth one, gathering half the deep
And full of voices, slowly rose and plunged
Roaring, and all the wave was in a flame;

  --Alfred, Lord Tennyson