Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: *** MYSTERY KATE SOUNDS???? *****

From: pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1991 00:08:56 -0800
Subject: Re: *** MYSTERY KATE SOUNDS???? *****
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <m0kvOM4-0000HzC@crash.cts.com> rhill@pnet01.cts.COM (Ronald Hill) writes:
>        Has anybody played around with this: on the Beatles topic on GENIE,
>someone was talking about getting to hear "out of phase" stuff by using a
>surround stereo system or by simply taken a speaker and connecting one end of
>the wire to the positive of the left channel and one end to the postive on the
>right channel on a normal stereo system.  NO special equipment is neccessary!!

What this effect "really" is is a difference signal.  On the speaker
set up this way, you are hearing the difference between the left and
right channels.  That means that anything in the "center" of your
stereo image (which is "equally" on both channels) is cut out, but
anything that is panned to either the left or the right very hard will
also show up in the special speaker.

While this will bring out things that are on the edges of the stereo
image, it doesn't find any "hidden" or mystery sounds.  It is very
interesting to do because it adds some depth (at the sacrifice of
what was probably the intended sound) to your stereo image.  Brian Eno
describes it on the back of one of his ambient albums, and recommends
it for ambient music.  In my experience it works really well with a lot
of music, and really poorly on some.  What we did in my house last year
was to hook a third speaker across the positives of the "B" speaker set,
and turned the "B" set off if it sounded like crap.
--
Pete Hartman		       Bradley University	pwh@bradley.bradley.edu
                     Nobody looks good with brown lipstick