Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** MYSTERY KATE SOUNDS???? *****

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1991 22:37:49 -0800
Subject: *** MYSTERY KATE SOUNDS???? *****
To: crash!wiretap.Spies.COM!Love-Hounds@nosc.mil

        Has anybody played around with this: on the Beatles topic on GENIE,
someone was talking about getting to hear "out of phase" stuff by using a
surround stereo system or by simply taken a speaker and connecting one end of
the wire to the positive of the left channel and one end to the postive on the
right channel on a normal stereo system.  NO special equipment is neccessary!!
 What this supposidly does is allow you to hear stuff that you can't normally
hear on the regular recording, occasionaly including people in the studio
talking to each other!   I've tried it out on Hounds Of Love and though I
didn't hear any previously unheard voices, it did change the songs
significantly.  A few sounded kinda like they had there vocals (or part of
them) erased and a few kinda sounded like 12" versions.  Note that this is
different then just listening to the left or the right channel, sometimes you
hear one instrument isolated and quite often you hear just the ECHOS of the
vocals.  Next up I'm going to try The Dreaming, the most likely candidate for
missing stuff.          If anybody has any more details on how this technique
works, I'd love to hear them.  It has something to do with having two mikes
that are out of positiion in the studio or something.  I don't understand it
but it is really interesting!

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com