Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ahhhh.

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1991 19:40:39 -0800
Subject: Ahhhh.
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

My life seems to be complete:

I heard a KaTe song on the radio that I'd never heard before, clear out of
the blue.

(I'm not counting "Rocketman" because I knew that WHFS was playing it and
I was specifically listening to said station as often as possible so that
I'd get a chance to hear it)

I've said a number of times on r.m.g that WHFS is the only station in town
that plays KaTe.  I lied.

There's a DJ here who goes by the name of Cerph (Cerphe?  Dunno, but I know
it's not spelled "surf").  He used to be on DC101, the AOR station.  He
then switched over to B106 when they switched from R&B-oriented pop to
"adult programming" (which, depending on which week it was might mean
classic rock, new age, or whatever else the programmer could come up with
to try next.)  B106 eventually changed their call letters to WJFK and
became mostly classic rock.  A pretty good station, but no great shakes.
Cerph, however, has a show from 6:00-10:00 pm called "Cerph's progressive
rock show."  I've known about it for a while, but I'm almost never in my
car at that time of night, and when I am, I usually end up listening to
tapes.  From what I'd heard, though, it seemed like Cerph's show was
programmed a lot like WHFS.

Tonight, after stopping at Olsson's to check for the Rocketman and Carribean
Blues singles (they had the latter, but only the version with no b-sides),
I got in my car and started flipping stations.  On 106.7 I heard a guitar
that immediately struck me as being Floyd-ish, but I didn't recognize the song
and passed on.  Nothing good on other stations, so I started hitting buttons
again.  That was when I heard Her voice.  I immediately tore my eyes from
the road to see what station I was on.  It still didn't sound *quite* like
KaTe should sound so I started wracking my brains trying to think of
covers.  At that point, I hadn't even figured out what song it was.

Fortunately, I realized what it was and where the recording originated before
I went insane--the live version of RUTH from the Secret Policeman's Third
Ball...a CD I'd been thinking of buying for a couple of years, but had
never gotten around to picking up.  This has changed...my next stop was
Tower to check for the singles (they may not have the best selection, but
they're open late...;-).  Tower, of course, had neither single so I finally
gave in and bought _Two Rooms_, as well as SP3rdB.

It seems there's hope for Washington radio yet...

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
|                                | Time for you to / Be who you are."       |
|jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu          |                         --Happy Rhodes   |