Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Phase, what phae? (listening to your kid's music)

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1991 16:34:00 -0800
Subject: Phase, what phae? (listening to your kid's music)
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Vickie here,

I thought I was Jon Drukman, but it was a combination of drugs and
weird dreams, so I didn't say:
> I am not katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie).  I didn't say:
>> Strangely enough, for awhile I had sympathy with some of the PMRC's
>> thought processes. Totally aside from government interference, legeslation
>> or stores refusing to carry labeled albums, I can, from a mother's point
>> of view, understand that wanting to know what goes into my child's ears
>> is important. Beyond that though, my patience wears thin with these
>> people.

> OK, you admit that you are past this phase...

Who said I was past that phase? I *still* want to know what my son is
listening to, mainly because he might introduce me to something good
that I hadn't been into before. My son Adrian has great taste in music!
His favorites right now are The Cure (the entire catalog, not just what's
"hip") and Peter Gabriel. He has everything Pink Floyd ever did (almost)
and is crazy about Siouxsie & the Banshees. He's 17 years old, and has
the makings of a fine "borrow from your Mom's record collection" kind
of kid. I introduced him to Peter and Siouxsie, he got me into The Cure.
CDs I have given him include Elvis Costello, XTC, Eno/Byrne's "My Life In
The Bush Of Ghosts" and Kate Bush (though, he's not really into her...yet)
so I see him becoming even more adventurous in his musical tastes.

> If you want to know what goes into your child's ears - LISTEN!!!
> This whole PMRC thing is just a lame excuse to get the government
> to be (a) babysitter.

Amen brother!

> My parents have no clue what I am about, why I listen to what I do,
> why I like those `weird' movies and so on.

Jon, it's not just your parents. :-)
Actually, I'm still trying to get Adrian to watch _Brazil_ sometime.
If you were my son I doubt I'd borrow records from you (maybe every now
and then) but I'd surely raid your movie collection a *lot*!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us

"Boomdidiwana-hi-hi-hi, saga mini-too"