Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Phase, what phae? (listening to your kid's music)

From: lawtonj@project4.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk (Kaleidoscope)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1991 09:38:19 -0800
Subject: Re: Phase, what phae? (listening to your kid's music)
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.man.ac.uk

In <m0kjftd-00026BC@chinet.chi.il.us> katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie) writes:

>Vickie here,
stuff deleted
>> OK, you admit that you are past this phase...

>Who said I was past that phase? I *still* want to know what my son is
>listening to, mainly because he might introduce me to something good
>that I hadn't been into before

well said - my mother likes Primal Scream, Spacemen 3's quiter side, Kate (and has done since WH),Cocteau Twins, Lloyd Cole, Cowboy Junkies and Dean Can Dance
My Dad's discovered REM & Penguin Cafe Orchestra through me.
In return I've discovered the Velvet Undergound, Van Morrison, Bowie, Syd Barrett - they certainly knew I was listening to the Velvets sing about S&M,
and Heroin a few years ago. In fact if they here me play something modern they
will quite often point me in the correct direction for it's influences,

I told them what NWA was, 'cos my 12 year old brother's got a tape & I wondered
if they were concerned, and they weren't really, because if he's got the tape
then he's going to be hearing that language from his friends.
They're 'concerned' about pornographic material, `cos he's been found with
some, but my mum thought it more on the `well it was to expected' than being
upset about it.

They're not too keen on the Sonic Youth/MBV/Dinosaur Jnr scale of things though.
Funnily enough it's not the noisy/contoversial rceords that I listen to that they  don't like - it`s The Monkees..... I suppose it's like if I had kids &
they turned out to like New Kids....