Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tripping Around The Universe

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1991 16:31:00 -0800
Subject: Tripping Around The Universe
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Vickie here.

I thought I was Jon Drukman, but it was just a combination of drugs and
weird dreams, so I didn't say:
> I am not john@tessi.UUCP (John Zimmer).  I didn't say:
>> sampler of alternative-female-vocal music.  Anyway, the host/DJ played
>> "Rocket Man" and "Rocket's Tail" back to back -- seems obvious in
>> hindsight.  As I listened, I found myself thinking, "This kinda works, an
>> album or EP like this would be fun."  I just can't think of any other
>> songs to go on it!

> "I Wanna Drive My Rocket Up Uranus" -- Alien Sex Fiend
> "Close Your Eyes, You Could Be A Space Captain" -- The Legendary Pink Dots

Here's a list that uses the idea of wanting to leave the earth and go
traipsing around the universe.

(all are female vocals or instrumentals by female musicians)

  Terra Incognita                 Happy Rhodes
  Goodbye Cruel World             Mary Kelley
  Rocket's Tail                   Kate Bush
  Rocket Man                      Kate Bush
  Red Rocket                      Shakespear's Sister
  I Feel Like An Astronaut        Fetchin Bones
  Satellites                      Rickie Lee Jones
  Wishing On Telstar              Susanna Hoffs
  Postcard To The Stars           Wendy Wall
  Picnic On The Moon              Bel Canto
  Solar Choir                     The Creatures
  Solar Systems                   Annette Peacock
  Venus Sands                     The Creatures
  Mercury Towers                  Hex
  Blues On Mars                   Jane Ira Bloom
  Red Planet                      Tiny Lights
  Phobos                          Happy Rhodes
  Jungles Of Jupiter              Toyah
  Space Between Rings             Christine Lavin
  Planet                          The Sugarcubes
  Planet In My Kitchen            Siouxsie & The Banshees
  Pluto Drive                     The Creatures
  UFO                             Nina Hagen
  One Alien                       Happy Rhodes
  Bengalis From Outer Space       West India Company
  Heavenly Bodies                 Barbara Thompson
  Scorpio Rising                  10,000 Maniacs
  Starbound She Said/The Stars    Deux Filles
  Special Star                    Lene Lovich
  Star Of Wonder                  The Roches
  Star of Munster                 Aleanna
  My Shooting Star                West India Company
  Western Stars                   k.d. lang
  Guiding Star                    New Age Steppers
  Little Spacey                   The Cocteau Twins
  My Space                        Maria Excommunikata
  Spacehead                       The Primitives
  Universal Radio                 Nina Hagen
  Across The Universe             Laibach w/Germania on vocals

The titles all fit the theme, even if the lyrics don't always. There are
*tons* of these songs. This list came after only a very quick look through
my CD collection. I could do entire shows of just Sun and Moon songs!

Here are some more female vocal or instrumental Moon songs...

  Moonbeam Friends                Happy Rhodes
  Moonflower                      Blackgirls
  Moonwhite Day                   Tiny Lights
  Why Look At The Moon            Victoria Williams
  Man In The Moon                 Voice Of The Beehive
  Moonlight Dancing               Toyah
  Moon Migration                  Toyah
  The Moon Shines                 Ensemble of the Bulgarian Republic
  You, Little Moon                Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares
  The Morning Moon                Keiko Matsui
  Blue Moon                       Area
  Shadow On A Harvest Moon        Everything But The Girl
  Blue Moon Rose                  Everything But The Girl
  Lunar Camel                     Siouxsie & The Banshees
  Lunar Seas                      Lucia Hwong
  Venus Missed The Moon           Christine Lavin
  Moonlight Becomes You           Phranc
  Night Of The Hunter's Moon      Sally Oldfield

and a few more female vocal or instrumental Sun songs...

  Odyssey Under The Sun           Sonya Robinson
  Sun Smile                       Sonya Robinson
  The Red Sunshine                Single Gun Theory
  Midnight Sun                    Lava Hay
  The Sun In The Stream           Enya
  Land Of The Sun                 Sally Oldfield
  Sun In My Eyes                  Sally Oldfield
  Eastern Sunlight                Deborah Henson-Conant

I know I could come up with three or four times as many if I actually
looked through every single, LP, CD and cassette in my collection.
Geez, I need a database :-\

Vickie
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us
{    H          To join the Happy Rhodes mailing list:         H        }
{      T            ecto-request@athos.rutgers.edu           T          }
{        R          "We're waking up, yes it's good"       R            }