Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jennifer Fergusson's "Suburban Hum"

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1991 16:15:00 -0800
Subject: Jennifer Fergusson's "Suburban Hum"
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

I'm looking for information about this artist and this song.

Jennifer Fergusson-"Suburban Hum"

This track is on a compilation album called _Forces Favorites_ (subtitled
"Eleven Songs by South Africans Supporting the End Conscription Campaign")
It was released in 1986 by Rounder Records (Rounder 4023) which I have on
LP. I've never seen a CD of it, though it might exist.

The outside jacket sleeve states "Lyrics enclosed" but I bought this
album at a used record store and the inside sheet was not in the album.
Not only do I not have the lyrics, but I imagine that further information
about each artist on the album was probably also included. In short, I know
absolutely nothing about Jennifer Fergusson and have no idea what else she's
done. She wrote this song, but I don't know if it was specifically written
for this album or comes from one of her own.

If this song is indicative of her usual quality, I would not hesitate to
buy any albums she might have released in South Africa. Musically, the
song goes through many changes, from simple and stark, almost talk-song,
to a very anthem-like chorus, to her throwing in a bit of "Onward Christian
Soldiers" to devestating effectiveness. The lyrics are searing and sad.
The song is about growing up oblivious to the apartheid of South Africa,
and then coming to awareness, and trying to shake off the apathy that
threatens her new awareness. "I no longer know just where to place my hand,
I'm this white girl white in a darkening land. I still care about the
future,...I'm still caught up in desire for a fine time that is good and
going to last a long time." She sings of a little black girl running down
the street, running from "the bullet that her daddy's going to meet" while
high-class white women are drinking tea and pretending that there are no
problems in South Africa. There is so much going on in this song, yet it
is very emotional and never fails to send shivers up my spine and I always
cry when I hear it. Jennifer's voice is very beautiful and soulful, and
she coveys painful emotion without being overwrought.

I would buy the CD of this album in a second just for this one song. I've
hardly listened to the rest of the album at all. This song is by far the
best (IMHO) and most interesting, and a much higher quality than any of
the other songs on the album.

Any information about this artist would be greatly appreciated.

Vickie
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us