Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Let me repeat myself..

From: genel@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Gene Lege')
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1991 23:59:32 -0800
Subject: Re: Let me repeat myself..
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9111140058.AA07875@garnet.berkeley.edu> you write:
>Subject: Re: Let me repeat myself..
>
>In article <m0khREw-000238C@chinet.chi.il.us> katefans@chinet.chi.il.us
>
>>c) Labels ----CAN---->LEAD---->TO---->CENSORSHIP
>>                      ^^^^
>Sure, so can any human being making any choice about what they
>want to see, hear, talk about, sell, produce, etc.  Choice is
>a natural part of life.  I think there are other things that
>are much more likely to lead to censorship than labelling.  Like
>implicit faith in the government, Christianity and other noxious
>religions, etc.  These are the things I worry about.  If somebody
>wants to label records, I express my disapproval by not shopping
>at stores that don't sell those labelled records.  But this is
>no different than not shopping at supermarkets that don't carry
>Canada Dry Ginger Ale, simply because I *like* Canada Dry Ginger
>Ale, and want to be able to buy it.  I think censorship has nothing
>to do with it.  They are conceptually completely different, despite

Lots of points and recommendations I agree with...

>  and most of all, *support* the rights of the PMRC and record stores
>to do whatever they damn well please, while exercising that same
>right yourself at all times.
>  Of course, most of these assume one believes in the morality (not
>to mention the effectiveness) of working within the system (voting, etc.)
>I, on the other hand, just sit back and laugh like hell.
>
>-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
>"I had to laugh like hell" - Kurt Vonnegut, _Hocus Pocus_

Well said Ben.

Personally, in all sincerity, my religous beliefs are the *most* important
and dear beliefs that I possess, and I would not be in any way the person
that I am without them.  They are far to personal and precious to go into
here, but one of my favorite ways to express one aspect of these beliefsis
the statement:

God expresses self through the choices that *I* make.

gl

--
Gene Lege' Jr. - Regional Support Engineer / Software  pyramid!pyrtech!genel
Pyramid Technology Corporation - Customer Support, Houston TX (713) 682-2711