Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Love-Hounds Digest #7.341

From: viewpnt!echelon!henrik@uunet.UU.NET (Larry DeLuca)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1991 10:22:02 -0800
Subject: Love-Hounds Digest #7.341
To: Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

[Lots of tripe about how great Phil Collins is deleted]

Wow, Richard, I rolled my eyes so hard I nearly busted an eyesocket at
your last post!

Phil Collins hasn't done anything worthwhile since his second
solo album.  He's dragged Genesis down into a sub-artistic mire
deeper than Paul McCartney w/o Wings could even achieve.

He used to be a good drummer - now he's just the trigger for Hugh Padgham's
overblown reverb.

He has absolutely no musical, artistic, or personal integrity whatsoever.
He will steal themes wholesale (hum Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" on
top of "I Wish It Would Rain").  He will stick any piece of trite shit to
anything else it will adhere to just to sell a record.  He's a pathetic,
quivering example of what can happen if your ego gets way too big and you
have too much money for people to tell you what you're producing is absolute
garbage.

"Burn Down The Mission" was yet another tired example of Phil Collins doing
what he does best - feeling and giving nothing.

But enough about that...

The *BEST* tracks on the CD had to be Tina Turner's "The Bitch is Back" and
Oleta Adams' "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" (Jon Bon Jovi turned in
quite a creditable "Levon", as well).

I think a big failing with a lot of albums of this sort is they just grab
whoever's popular to record on them - and most of the time these people
are singer/songwriters (like Kate Bush).  While they're incredibly good at
making you feel *their* music, they're not really skilled in making you
feel *someone else's* music (this is where Tina Turner wins).

					larry...