Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Sensual Hounds of World Love

From: scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Scott Telford)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1991 08:39:22 -0700
Subject: Re: The Sensual Hounds of World Love
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk

In article <107200@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> ed@wente.llnl.GOV (Ed Suranyi) writes:

>In article <1991Sep18.130726.14478@sti.com> stev0@sti.COM (Steve
>Berlin) writes:
>>two (9th Wave side) as Hol, but much better than side one (Boring Top
>>40 side) of HoL.

Boring?! boring?! You're obviously using a sense of the word "boring" I
wasn't previously aware of (to paraphrase Arthur Dent...)

>Your opinion is noted and well taken.  But how can you call the first
>side of HOL the "Boring Top 40 side," when only one song from that side
>entered the charts at all?  Admittedly, that song, RUTH, did make the
>top 40, peaking at No. 30.

Quite.

>And in any case, I disagree vehemently with you.  The only song on that
>side that I don't like so much is "The Big Sky," which, without it's
>video, does seem to be kind of boring.  But "Cloudbusting" is one of

Arrrggghhhh! IMHO, TBS is by far the *best* thing on side A. Of course,
the video makes it even better (wish they didn't fade it out so soon
on TWS though). Ok, so the chant "Rolling over like a big, big
cloud!/Walking out in the Big Sky!" (which is what I hear, but isn't
what IED has in his lyrics - anybody have other variations?) could
possibly be described as repetitive, but if you're not in a kind of
euphoric stupor by that point in the track, it's obviously just me,
then...

--
Scott Telford,
no longer at the Dept. of Computer Science, Heriot-Watt University, UK,